The Greater Washington Society for Brunch and Bullsh*t

Unable to find any good websites devoted to Brunch in DC, we've endeavored to make our own, devoted to our most faovritest meal of the week and other bullsh*t going on in our lives.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Frittata, Some Smoked Salmon, and Mimosas

Lovely and devoted friends that we are, Ruthie B. and I decided to throw a surprise brunch for a dear friend of ours this past Saturday. Ruthie B. was in charge of the cake and I the menu.
Here is my experience:
I was working out at the gym, scanning a recent Bon Appetite (one of the best food periodicals out there I would argue, with a website to match http://www.epicurious.com/) when I saw a recipe for a Prosciutto, Shitake, Fontina Frittata. I had originally planned on making a quiche, but this recipe made me change my mind. Quiches are tricky and very fattening what with the heavy cream and pastry shell and all. I decided this fritatta would be much more appreciated. I also planned to make a smoked salmon pizza, which entailed pizza topped with lemon dill sour cream and smoked salmon. I would serve all this with biscuits of the Pillsbury variety and fruit salad.
Now I will confess something. I am not a baker. I hate baking in fact, hence I put Ruthie B. in charge of cake. Baking to me is like chemistry, the measurements need to be too exact. I don't have the patience to use measuring utensils, I like to eyeball what I chuck into a recipe and rely on my taste buds to make improvement. As such, I thought I would buy some pre made pizza dough for the occasion. So Friday after work, I am at whole foods looking for some. Impossible. They only had this pre made pizza crust that was herb and cheese flavored. I couldn't imagine this going very well with smoked salmon. I decided to just serve the smoked salmon with diced red onion, capers, french bread, and the lemon dill sour cream.
The frittata was incredibly easy to make and turned out really well. I won't go into detail about the process, you can basically look it up online. If i ever have to be slightly drunk trying to cook brunch again, this is definitely a new "go to" recipe. Everyone seemed impressed by the sour cream, when all it was was a bit of lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped dill, and pepper. None-the-less I was happy to bask in the glory of their compliments. The biscuits got a bit burned but were edible. The fruit salad was store bought and essential as we had the brunch on my front porch and it ended up being one of the hottest days this summer. Nothing like a nice fruit salad to cool you down.
All in all the brunch was a success. For the next one I plan to make huevos rancheros, I just need someone I like to have a birthday and a passion for brunching.

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Laura R Bridge said...

I would like to take a moment to compliment Tweaks on a superb effort in the brunch department. Not only can she tell you where to find a good bloody mary, she also makes an outstanding brunch host. If you are ever lucky enough to get an invite do not pass it up.

On the cake front. Frankly, if it was between a cake that I made from a box and a cake sitting on one of those tables at safeway, I'd probably go with the safeway. Its the thought that counts right?

Which brings up the issue of sweets at brunch..necessity or way over the top?

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Free penis exercise Should you take levaquin tablets with food weight loss products Airline flight schedule cheap first class airfares cochin chrysler crossfire exploited black girls free holdem holdem online poker poker texas texas Coffee cup individual maker health insurance self employed west virginia the rite of spring sacrificial dance Adipex weight drug whats levaquin Parental control for sony playstation

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdу! I knoω this іs kinda оff topic hoωever
, I'd figured I'd asκ. Would you be interеѕted in exchanging linκs or mаybe guest ωгiting a blog post or vicе-veгsa?
My blog ԁіscusѕes а lot οf the same subjеcts аs yοurs and Ӏ feel ωе coulԁ greatly benеfіt from each other.
If you happеn to be interested feel free tο ѕhoοt mе an
e-mail. I lоoκ forward to hearing from you! Great blog bу thе way!


Feel free tо ѕuгf to my web-site raspberry ketone

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it whеn indivіdualѕ get together and sharе ideas.

Great website, keep it up!

Take a lоok аt mу websіte
female Hair Loss treatment

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ӏ reаlly like ωhat you guуs arе usually
up too. Thiѕ sort of clevеr work and reporting!
Keep up the terгifiс worκs guys I've included you guys to blogroll.

Visit my site - california health insurance ()

 

Post a Comment

<< Home