The Greater Washington Society for Brunch and Bullsh*t

Unable to find any good websites devoted to Brunch in DC, we've endeavored to make our own, devoted to our most faovritest meal of the week and other bullsh*t going on in our lives.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oh Dear, Oh My Goodnes, It's Amazing!

Driving along (i know i'm a bad person) to work today in my normal haze, listening to NPR morning edition, just before a commercial, I hear "a new study has found that drinking coffee may help repair liver damage due to alcohol consumption." A huge smile spreads across my face as I slap the streeing wheel. "I knew it!" I exclaim, while swerving to avoid a pedestrian. Sadly I was pulling into work and could not listen to the report. Immediately, upon booting up my computer, I began searching for the article. I was unsuccessful in my google searches of "hope for alcoholics" and "coffee, liver damage, massive alcohol consumption." Luckily, one of my good friends, and probably my best g-chat friend, has a job that requires him to read a bajillion newspapers every morning, so I defered to him and he sent me to this article : http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/13/health/13prev.html?_r=2&oref=slogin.
Well the online picutre looks alot more like chocolate pudding than coffee to me, but hey I won't hold a grudge because holy crap! It's amazing! - "Compared with people who never drank coffee, those who drank one cup a day or less were about 30 percent less likely to develop alcoholic cirrhosis. The more coffee they drank, the lower the risk. At one to three cups per day, the risk was lowered by 40 percent, and those who drank more than four cups a day reduced their risk by 80 percent. Coffee had no statistically significant effect on the risk for nonalcoholic cirrhosis."
I feel like this is why I've been drinking so much coffee. Like, subconsciously I knew it was good for me, or rather my body recognized that fact. It's absolute genius. I feel like I can be an unashamed alcoholic now. Who cares about all the other health problems that arise from alcohlism. I'll be able to donate my liver when I die now and that's good enough for me.
I also thought it was interesting that
"the researchers are unsure what ingredient in coffee is at work, but since tea drinking offered no protection against either form of the disease, they concluded that caffeine was not responsible for the effect."- which is why the british will never be as successful as us...moreover, the british government should think about giving some funding to the coffee industry in order to woo the population away from tea. I mean thier the ones with national health care system. I mean rather than try and cut down on the binge drinking culture over there, they really should focus on tea. In the long run I think they would save alot more money.

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger M@ said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I think I might have a problem, but then I'm reminded that I might just be... normal.

I'm hung over like a horse today--but in a good way.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Rusty said...

LRB, I appreciated the shoutout in my comments section, but no calling me by my name!

It's an anonymous blog, so all compliments should be directed towards "Rusty."

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger M@ said...

Okay, "Randy."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home