The Greater Washington Society for Brunch and Bullsh*t

Unable to find any good websites devoted to Brunch in DC, we've endeavored to make our own, devoted to our most faovritest meal of the week and other bullsh*t going on in our lives.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

In Search of a Good Bloody Mary

Tay's Recipie:
One plain water glass- can hold about 10 oz fluids
Ice- Fill glass 2/3 full with cubes
Vodka- with ice in glass, fill glass up to 1/3 or 1/4 mark
Bold and Spicy Mrs. T bloody Mary mix- fill rest of glass, leaving 1" room at top of glass
Worcester Sauce- It all depends on you, I like to put somewhere between 6 and 10 dashes
Salt- To Taste
Pepper- To Taste, I like alot
Tobasco Sauce/Hot Sauce- Use your favorite, but I really have to reccomend that red Chinese one that has the green top on it. Add to Taste
1/4 wedge of lime- a must
Celery Salt- a few dashes
Red pepper flakes- to taste
Cajun Seasoning or OLD BAY- To taste, at least a few dashes
Pickled Crunchy Green Beans- 1 or 2
Green Olives- 1 or 2
Celery Leaves smooshed - 1 or 2
Stalk of Celery
Horseraddish- 1 tsp if that
If you have whiskey on hand, I reccomend swilling some in the glass before you begin, makes everything smoother.

As such I am on a quest and have been for some time now, to find the best bloody mary in the city.
I remember one fateful hungover brunch at bus boys n' poets. It was a wintery Sunday Mid-afternoon. After waiting 1/2 hour, we finally sit down. I ordered only three drinks that day, for-going the soda. I also had the turkey sandwich, which was fantastic. But even better, I had a fantabulous bloody mary. The rim was dipped in some sort of seasoning, which i believe to be old bay and red pepper flakes. The make up of the drink was salty and succulent, and perfect. Just spicy enough, little to no horseraddish, a big fat olive and plenty of lime. I drank the first one down in no time and was forced to order another. This time i savored it. I went back to bus boys some time later on a saturday with high hopes only to have them dashed at the piss-poor bloody that was placed before me that day. My guess was that the quality bloody mary bar tender was only working sunday brunches then and vowed to only ever go back on a Sunday. I went back a following Sunday and was again disspointed by the watery flavorless beverage I had had that Saturday before. Worse yet, the eggs benedict hollandaise was lumpy and not scrumptous.
Maybe I was hallucinating that first sunday, maybe I was still drunk as is more likely the case, but I need to know what happened to my perfect bloody mary maker. Was it just a one off thing? Did they get hired somewhere else? Do they not work the brunch shift any more? Tell me....
Shout outs- Open City- I've always had a decent and sometimes Fabulous Bloddy here, besides that, the place rocks out...

1 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger Laura R Bridge said...

What T-no vodka recommendation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home