The Greater Washington Society for Brunch and Bullsh*t

Unable to find any good websites devoted to Brunch in DC, we've endeavored to make our own, devoted to our most faovritest meal of the week and other bullsh*t going on in our lives.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Fabulosity that is Townhouse Tavern


but don't go there; you won't like it.

A dive bar on the corner of R and 17th is my favorite DC retreat. Though the prices are a little less than reasonable, the ambiance and Juke Box more than make up for it. I remember my first venture there. After a sushi dinner with a bunch of friends from high school, we ended up here slightly drunk on Saki and generally jubilant. Walking in, I knew it was the place for me. Dim red lighting, generally grungy with equally non-quaffed clientele surrounded us as we took a table. "Took a table" being key as I hate to have to stand around at a bar like a tool. The only reason for standing around at a bar is if you are going to dance, otherwise you look like a tool and I do not want to hit on you and I do not want to be friends.

Upon spying the juke box, I hopped up to inspect. I was nearly in tears flipping through the selections. These are happy tears mind you, and I do not cry very often, unless a cat is involved. Where else in DC, can you find Sebadoh, Joy Division, X-Ray Specs, Velvet Underground, Tool, the Pxies, and Nirvana all in one spot? I sure do not know where, and if it is in VA I will eat my housemate's greasy red sox cap. (Distraction, cute teenage skater boy just walked by...sigh)

The creme de la creme being this one bartender. Basically, my friends and I go now in hopes of glimpsing her hotness. I have finally developed a repoire with her and get a smile or an eye roll depending on the scene every time I walk in.

Many a hazy nights have passed in this beloved locale. While I do not recommend brunching here....ever (see entry "The Begginning") it is a perfect place to end the night, or pre-game before going to some place your dreading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home