The Greater Washington Society for Brunch and Bullsh*t

Unable to find any good websites devoted to Brunch in DC, we've endeavored to make our own, devoted to our most faovritest meal of the week and other bullsh*t going on in our lives.

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Beggining

It has long been the quest of man to find the perfect brunch spot. One that will match the perfect hangover or general level of well-being on any given weekend morning. So Saturday morning after completing the Race for the Cure 5k( in fantastic time by-the-way) Taylor and I struck out to implement a brilliant plan of consuming never-ending bloody mary's and brunch. However, because DC really drops the ball in the food department, we end up wandering around the city for 3 hours building up un-realistic expectations about the possibility for the delicious-ness of the brunch which we are so patiently awaiting. We had in mind to try our favorite neighborhood night spot, Townhouse Tavern, for all you can drink and a greasy breakfast to go with.
As the magic hour approached, we entered into what normally passes as the perferable bar spot for any dark liqour drink or possibly beer. However, the smell, and scene, or lack there of, was something that I never again want to experience sober, after a do-gooding activity. The foul combination of the cigs, beer and vomit, did not delight the senses after so healthy a morning. Realizing our mistake, we decide to split. Having read reviews of Creme we decide to try it out, until we remembered the prices on the menu we had read earlier that morning in our travels. While the $10 all you can drink bloody mary offer is tempting, the $15 entres are not. As one is right next to the other, we next checked out Utopia which promises $1 Mimosas or Bloodys, only to discover U-topia is only the ideal brunch spot on Sunday's as on Saturday's it is closed. Then we are thinking about Saint Ex, and though we have been before, and they don't have bottleless bevies, we suck it up and go, bc by this time, my stomach has started talking to me.
Saint Ex, though a standard, always makes me happy. As I think restaurant reviews should all do an obligatory clienttele comment section here is mine for Saint Ex:
"The crowd: always attractive, well dressed, hipsters and regular neighborhood folk alike flood the bar reaffirming my belief that good-looking people are always more fun. Really they get style points and niceness points. The hostess who i think could be new, had some sweet paul frank glasses, that made me want to buy some fake ones. In order to fulfill our voyeristic needs, we choose to sit at the bar facing the street. This gave us a great view of the mid-thirties, I want to hang onto the clothes my mother wanted me to throw out when I was 14 crowd. Contrary to what you might be thinking this is the highest compliment. I even made a small effort to eye flirt for the prospect of a possible invite to sit at the cool table. I don't even like tatoos, but I liked theirs. Okay, the bevvies: A Pitcher of bloodies(aren't we being ecconomical). the bloodies we only mediocre. sub-par if you ask me. WAY too much horseradish, like WAY. If I wanted a horseradish cocktail I would have asked for one. I also didn't ask for the wow-this-girl-just-ordered-a-pitcher-of-bloody-marys looks from the patrons sitting at the bar. Oh well. The olive was good, but we clearly made the wrong choice, as we were fighting over who was to finish the pitcher. The food:I would say the best decision of the day was to ask for the benedict with fried green tomatoes AND ham. As I think Taylor and I both fancy ourselves benedict afficionados, we are not f-ing around. it was good. rather rich and too filling. but lets just say we were both member of the CPC. the hollondaise sauce was quite yummy and smooth. the ham delicious, though I prefer my pork meat on the chewier side., the fried green tomato is always a fun addition. The mini potatoes I think were the highlight for me. As one who will sit and pick every single item on their plate(garnishes included-sometimes) I appreciate it when a breakfast spot isn't trying to load me up the carbohydrates to create a false feeling of satisfaction in my stomach. yum! it was good, and lets just say their brunch is better than their dinner. The check: completely reasonable and well worth it. All and all it was sucessful. Also note to self-brunch is a meal that should be enjoyed hungover, with the nice heartburn feeling in your chest and bags under your eyes, though as Taylor put it so nicely I did have bags under my eyes.

3 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home